2nd Round of Chemo
Yesterday Logan got his second round of chemo. We were all nervous about accessing his port for the first time without being under anesthesia. They gave us some cream to numb it that we had to put on 45 minutes before the access so I was really nervous about getting it on at just the right time because I knew that this access would set the tone for all of the others from here on out. It takes us 30 minutes to get to the hospital so I pulled over about 10 minutes into the drive and put the cream on with some press and seal over it and we headed up the hill. Unfortunately, Logan gets carsick and the drive up the hill is not fun for someone who gets carsick. I have lots of personal experience. Just as we are heading up the hill, Logan says, I don't feel well. So, luckily, (and when I say luckily, I pretty much always mean that there had to be some divine intervention because it should not have worked out that way) there was a lone Walmart sack on the front seat that I grabbed and threw back to him. He promptly threw up in it the second he grabbed it. That all happened in about 5 seconds. I just keep thinking about how bad that situation could have been if I hadn't had that sack sitting on the front seat that I had accidentally left there the previous day when I was cleaning the car. It wasn't supposed to be there. I know it sounds silly, but I could have had puke all over my car and him and we had no extra clothes and we had to access the port within about 15 minutes of getting to the hospital. Tender mercy for sure and I am grateful. So, we were able to get to the hospital and get his port accessed at exactly 45 minutes after I applied the cream, which made it so that Logan didn't feel a single thing. No pain at all, which means he isn't nervous for next time and so much anxiety has been alleviated. Whew!!! It would be impossible to express the gratitude I feel for such a perfect first access. Then we went into meet with the nurses and our awesome Doc. He felt around Logan's tummy and said it feels smaller for sure. Logan said, "I could tell that my tummy was smaller." which made me so happy. So, the chemo is doing its job. Another huge feeling of gratitude. His labs were all normal so we will just wait for them to drop in the next week. After that we will just be a little more careful with where we go and who comes over. But, for now, they said to try to live as normal as we can. This chemo was just one drug that doesn't cause nausea, so it went great. Next Monday will be the same thing and then the next one will be the 3 drugs that will make him sick. We are very grateful for the nice breaks in between.
We are so grateful that Dan's parents were willing to rearrange their responsibilities so they could be there to watch kiddos and help us out with stuff. It was beyond nice to have them there. I felt like I was on vacation. It was dreamy. We are also grateful to Dan's uncle for taking his grandma so they could come.
I hope everyone knows how grateful we are for all of the texts, calls, gifts, cards. If we haven't said thank you to you personally, I'm sorry. I'm trying to keep up but it is a little overwhelming. I know none of you expect a thank you card, but I hope to be able to thank each of you personally, I just need some time. I have been amazed at how fun surprises and gifts have really helped his attitude just be happy most of the time. Even at the times where he has felt really awful and sore, the stuffed animals or video games or snacks have helped so much. So, thank you all so much. Thank you for gifts for us. We have been blessed with very generous friends and family and we are so grateful for the snacks and coloring books and gift cards we have received. They will be well utilized. Thank you for the amazing meals. My family never eats this well, so thanks. We love you all and are so grateful for the faithful prayers and fasting. I feel so much peace and, almost normalcy at this point. I know it won't last forever, but I'm grateful for it at this moment. We have become so aware of the very difficult things that so many people are dealing with and it has made us way more aware of the amazing facilities like Primary Children's. Gone are the days of saying no to the CostCo cashier when they ask if we want to donate to PCMC. It's ALWAYS going to be yes.
We are so grateful that Dan's parents were willing to rearrange their responsibilities so they could be there to watch kiddos and help us out with stuff. It was beyond nice to have them there. I felt like I was on vacation. It was dreamy. We are also grateful to Dan's uncle for taking his grandma so they could come.
I hope everyone knows how grateful we are for all of the texts, calls, gifts, cards. If we haven't said thank you to you personally, I'm sorry. I'm trying to keep up but it is a little overwhelming. I know none of you expect a thank you card, but I hope to be able to thank each of you personally, I just need some time. I have been amazed at how fun surprises and gifts have really helped his attitude just be happy most of the time. Even at the times where he has felt really awful and sore, the stuffed animals or video games or snacks have helped so much. So, thank you all so much. Thank you for gifts for us. We have been blessed with very generous friends and family and we are so grateful for the snacks and coloring books and gift cards we have received. They will be well utilized. Thank you for the amazing meals. My family never eats this well, so thanks. We love you all and are so grateful for the faithful prayers and fasting. I feel so much peace and, almost normalcy at this point. I know it won't last forever, but I'm grateful for it at this moment. We have become so aware of the very difficult things that so many people are dealing with and it has made us way more aware of the amazing facilities like Primary Children's. Gone are the days of saying no to the CostCo cashier when they ask if we want to donate to PCMC. It's ALWAYS going to be yes.
Comments