The gift that keeps on giving!

So, for Christmas, my sweet little hubby researched and surprised me with a wonderful bread machine(if you know my hubby, you know that it is the best bread machine and for the best price). One of my goals as a wife and mom is to make really good bread. I remember so often coming home from school and smelling bread as I walked in. That was the best thing in the world to me. It made me feel all loved and happy and stuff. So, my mom was a trooper because she did all the kneading herself and it would take her half the day to make enough for the fam. Anyway, I want my family to have the same memories of delicious bread, but I hate spending the whole day doing it and yeast hates me. It knows I fear it and it just dies on the spot. OH, what a wonderful world it is with a bread machine. Although I was really intimidated by it at first because the instructions basically say you have to do it perfectly, I have it all figured out and can even experiment and stuff. Ever since we got it, yeast and I have actually worked things out, and I don't ruin bread anymore. Lately I have just been using the dough cycle and then making whatever with it. I make yummy bread now and am really happy about it. So, the purpose of this post was actually to say that I just saved a ton of money. My friend, Holly, gave me this idea in our nanny days and I have made these little sandwiches so so many times. They are always a hit, so I have really been trying to find some cheap cinnamon raisin bread because it is ridiculous how much it costs. It's like $3 for a tiny little loaf that is not even soft. So, I am throwing my sis-in-law a baby shower tomorrow and decided I would make the bread (My sis-in-law is having her second baby, first boy, after waiting 8 years, yes 8 years people, you better believe she is getting a shower for her second). I sent out 50 ish invites (I hope she gets spoiled) and so I need alot of sammies. Anyway, I found a recipe, experimented with it and saved myself atleast $12 bucks and the bread kicks pepperidge farms booty and my house smells like Heaven. Yes, I love it!! This is the kind of thing that just makes my day. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, the sandwiches are cinn. raisin bread, with a spread of cream cheese, a little mayo, garlic powder (or something salty like that, whatever really), and craisins. Mix it in your trusty blender, cuisinart or whatever contraption you have. Then you just put a slice of turkey on them and cut them into long skinny finger sandwhiches (taste better that way). They are so yummy. Thanks Holly, you had no idea you had such and effect on me.

Comments

k myers said…
Good work Dana! Those sandwiches are the BEST!! And you are a good shower thrower, so I am sure it will be great! I know you are coming up tomorrow and I don't have your phone number!!!! We HAVE to see you and we are getting together with the Peterson's in the evening, so stop by if you can!!! We would love to see you!
nattiejo said…
several questions: a)can i still mix the spread if i dont own any type of mixing contraption whatsoever? (do my hands count as a mixing contraption) b)what exactly is the distinction between "finger sandwiches" and "skinny finger sandwiches". i would like your response in centimeters please. c) ok thats about it. im so glad you and yeast are friends now. ive never tried to get to know yeast, but hopefully it will like me right off the bat. im too old to dilly dally trying to woo the yeast into liking me. good job on the yummy bread sweet pea. i miss moms bread. a lot.
Kathryn said…
"saved myself atleast $12 bucks and the bread kicks pepperidge farms booty and my house smells like Heaven. Yes, I love it!!"

hahaha Dana you are so funny. I really enjoy reading your blog because I can just hear you while I read. Those sandwiches sound REALLY good I think I am going to try them!
Kit said…
My mouth is watering!! I want that raisin bread recipe.Where did you find it?
What a great idea. I bought some wheat thinking I'd be this great wife/mom and start making wheat bread. Well I have to say that over the last few months it hasn't happened once. So you just inspired me and I think I need a bread maker :)!!! Great Idea Dana!!! Reading your post I could just smell the yummy homemade bread!!!!
tawnya said…
I love making bread, but always hated my machine. So I gave it up! I love making it by hand...cathartic somehow!
Laura Lyden said…
I am so proud of you for making bread! I am seriously so impressed! I can not believe how big Mason is getting. It made me a little sad when I saw Mason's hair being cut - I miss being there for all the hair needs!! I miss you guys and I am so glad that everything is going well.
Kim :) said…
So Dana, your blog made Blaine really really really want to buy a bread machine. And since your sweet hubby already did all the research on them, we were wondering which one you ended up with? Would you mind sharing the info? Thanks! Oh, and I love Mason's hair cut. He looks so grown up! :) Love you guys!
Holly said…
Woah- you actually MADE cinnamon raisin bread? I am WAY impressed! I think maybe Paula deserves the credit for any fancy little tea sandwich like those ones though. She was queen of fancy tea sandwiches. I totally forgot about those yummy things. That sounds so good right now!

And you're an inspiration! Yeast also hates ME. I'm happy to know you've become friends- maybe I can do that too.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason