Parenting Cahllenge #3
So, the interruption thingy is working great for us. The hubby totally agrees that it's a great idea and the kids like doing it. I do need more time to get used to it because today a few times, I forgot about it, and I just kind of got irritated that they were holding my wrist (I need my space). Then I realized, wait, they are trying to do this right. It made me laugh. I had to apologize that I had forgotten. So, I need some time to get used to it, but they really loved it and it was way helpful. We will definitely keep that one going. As for Challenge #1 and #2, they went pretty darn well, but today was hard. I have been so focused on the 4 yr. old, who is doing awesome, that I think I have neglected the 6 yr. old. He tested me today. He tested me big. I handed out A LOT of consequences today. I definitely wasn't as up beat today in general. I kind of woke up grumpy, but was still able to mostly keep my cool. I had one slip up but caught myself. I actually had to stop, close my eyes and breath for it to not come out yelly. So, all in all, it was just a so-so day. But, thinking about how it would have gone if I wasn't doing these challenges makes me feel really proud and good that things didn't get out of control. I feel like I am headed where I want to be. I feel very hopeful that I can be the mom I want to be...if I can just practice these things and not let myself get lazy. That feels good. Tomorrow's challenge is a little different. I am going to pay attention to what I am doing every time I want to blow. I know most of what my kids do to make me feel like exploding. But, I am going to write down what I am doing when I want to blow. I know it is usually when I am busy or doing something that requires my full attention, but I am going to really see what it is. I will write down what I'm doing every time I get mad just to see the patterns. I want to be aware of when I need to be more careful and aware. Do I need to save certain things for night time or early morning so that I don't have these triggers? Can I get my kids occupied with some reading time or quiet time so I can do these particular things? I will continue with the other challenges as well. Hoping for an upbeat day tomorrow, but however I feel when I wake up, It's just one day, so it's okay.
Comments