Round 5 and 6 went great, now on to Inpatient Chemo...

     Well, Rounds 5 and 6 went great.  There was very little nausea with round 5, which are the drugs that make him sick.  His body did awesome.  No fevers! Hallelujah!  The doc actually told me last week to stop taking his temp because if I know he has one I have to take him in ;).  He told me to only take it if Logan appears to be really sick, so we didn't take any temps, but he really never even felt warm so we feel lucky these last few weeks.  Round 6 was yesterday and we didn't realize it, but we are starting inpatient chemo next week right after his scans.  Dan and I both thought we had another round of out patient chemo if the scans show that they can't do surgery (which is still what the doc expects). So, we were surprised and Logan was overwhelmed again and we had to take deep breaths and calm down.  We are really trying to take it a day at a time which means I don't google stuff or try to plan for the next treatment.  The minute you get online you get conflicting things with what the doc says and get all of the worst case stuff so I literally have not googled anything.  That also means I wasn't following his plan that closely.  I was just waiting for the docs to tell us what to do.  Which, also means we were surprised that in patient starts on Monday.  But, it has been good.  We haven't had time to be anxious about it.  I kind of like being a little ignorant during this process.  It helps me take it day by day.  Yesterday, I was reminding Logan to take it one day at time in the docs office because he was so sad.  Then, in the car on the way home he said, "When I start thinking about next week I just tell myself, 'one day at a time' and then it's all okay." So, I'm really grateful he is old enough to be able to do that but young enough to be able to not think about it too much.  I really feel so lucky that he is the age he is.
     The doc says the chemo is doing its job and the tumor is definitely much smaller but not small enough that they will do surgery yet.  We are still doing the scans to confirm that but will proceed with chemo because it will take the surgeons a week or two to get the OR scheduled even if we do get to do surgery.  So, In patient chemo consists of an all expense paid, 5 night stay at the PCMC suite ;).  He will do some chemo all 5 days.  This chemo is more aggressive, will make him sicker, and will require constant fluid and meds to help with nausea and to flush his body well.  He will need to pee every couple of hours around the clock, so it will make for some annoying nights, but hopefully he will handle it well.  After the 5 days, we go home and get 2 weeks off.  Then we do another round and get another break.  There may or may not be surgery and radiation in there somewhere.
     So, we are really lucky to have this week off before we start the next type of chemo and are trying to just enjoy it with lazy days of summer play.  The docs/nurses/case managers always ask what big plans we have or what fun stuff we did over the weekend.  It's funny, because I feel like we are having a great summer, but he never has anything to say to them.  I find it interesting every time.  The docs and nurses are just trying to make conversation, but it makes me feel like we have to be having fun all of the time or life isn't enjoyable.  When you hear it so many times, it makes you feel like all we care about is fun and excitement in our society.  I know that isn't true, but it just feels that way when you hear it so often from every person you talk to.  Sometimes it makes me feel like we don't do enough fun stuff with our kids, but I am constantly reminding myself that the normal days at home (which is pretty much all we have had lately) are the times that set the stage for a content life  and I need to not constantly be seeking fun and excitement for my kids.  So, we just say, "nope, nothing too exciting." and move on to the next question we have heard a million times ;).  I really don't like small talk.  I like to connect with people below the surface, so small talk is kind of my version of torture.  This has been so much harder for me than I would have ever thought.  At the hospital, pretty much all talk is small talk and you have to have that small talk with about 20 people every time you go.  It's kind of a silly thing to be bugging me at a time like this, but it has been hard for me and my brain and for my normally very social Logan.  (I know people are just trying to make small talk, there is not better solution, it is just part of this process).
      Dan and I haven't really been interested in hanging out with other people since this started.  We aren't sure why, but we just feel like staying home.  So, getting my kids out and social has been tricky.  We are kind of that way anyway, but this has just magnified it by a lot.  So, we just hang here at home, for the most part.  The boys are obsessed with shooting hoops, which I'm not going to complain about even though most of it takes place in the house because Logan is not interested in going outside much.  We are all thoroughly enjoying out summer.  Here are some pics that are from the last few months.  I really want to catch up on my blog (not just cancer stuff) so I can make a good blog book soon.  So, sorry if you just want Logan updates, you are getting our family history as well.
      And, as always, thank you all for your sweet and thoughtful messages and gifts.  We have been blessed in the friend and family department, but we already knew that.  Yesterday as we were driving to chemo Logan said, "My life has actually gotten better since I had cancer because it doesn't really hurt and we get to see family more."  The seven year old knows what's important.

Cousin Dekker got to come stay for 2 nights and the boys had SO.MUCH.FUN!  Dekker didn't mind the baby snuggles either.  We came down a little later and he had his arms wrapped around Davis and they were just quietly watching.  It was sweet.  There were at least 1 million basketballs shot over those 2 days.  
Before all of this happened we went to the school fundraiser spring fling and it was so fun.  The kids and I absolutely loved it and Dan came because he is a good sport and suffered through it without one single complaint and a smile on his face.  Mason really didn't want to go but then we talked him into it and he even had fun.   
Princess Mason is in trouble with the king again.  
Mason wouldn't dance but Logan had a few girls hanging around him dancing with him and he just went with it.  Jolie was one of the lucky girls to get to dance with him.  They were adorable.
 Also before all of the cancer stuff, some friends invited Dan and the boys for a hike and they had a great time.

 Mason and Dan went to an arena football game and had lots of fun.
 No explanation for this one.  Davis just laid down on the floor with one of Jolie's flip flops around his ankle and it made me laugh.
 Mason's last day of school.  He has grown up so much this year.  What a handsome guy.
 I let Davis buckle into a booster and he just sat there and smiled.  It was hilarious.  Some day buddy...some day.

Comments

Unknown said…
I've been thinking of y'all a lot. Every prayer in our house has Logan's name in it. We love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason