Pretend this is not my blog, but my political column okay.

So, I think anyone who knows me, knows that I don’t like to do things just beause that’s what people do…especially when I feel like it is not necessary but the person telling me has already decided it is. I am beyond frustrated right now. I have to know why a doc is doing a test and if there is not a good reason, I generally won’t do it. I understand docs standardize things a lot and just do the same tests for everyone because it is easier, I understand that I promise, but I just don’t want to be looked at funny when I object or ask questions. I get very nervous when discussing objectionable issues with docs because they are confident they know best and sometimes don’t get where I am coming from. Anyway, I am just so frustrated right now because I am sick of being told, “well you have insurance don’t you” Yes, I have insurance, why does that mean I should do test that aren’t necessary. Have you seen the cost of insurance? Are you begging for them to up my premiums or what? So, I have to write down how I feel or it doesn’t go away. Usually I write it down and then just let it be on my computer. It is amazing how it helps. Today, I decided to post it because I feel like I am alone in this and am curious if other people are feeling like they have no control either. Anyway, sometimes I seem cynical, but I really do appreciate all of the advances in medicine and the amazing work of many doctors. I’m sure if anything goes wrong with me, I will become even more grateful, but right now, I am feeling like the world of obstetrics and peds has gotten a little out of hand with how many “routine” things they do that are completely unnecessary and don’t even think about the cost to me. OH, and here are a few things I am trying to get up the guts to say to the docs I have seen lately.
1. Now be honest here, do you really think you are worth $177 for that 15 minutes I talked to you after the ultrasound. Cause, I am just not feeling it….especially since you said “I don’t really know what to tell a girl in your case.” Be honest now, I won’t tell your next patient, I just want to know.
2. Actually, I really don’t want to drink that mini orange soda for breakfast before I come. Especially since I am not concerned that I have gestational diabetes and you have no labs to even kind of indicate that I may have it. In fact, that test is only supposed to be done if you do have a concern, so why do you make us all do it every time? Why?
3. Um, I think I am gonna pass on the second ultrasound with the second specialist because the first ultrasound told me I had a healthy baby and the first specialist said she didn’t really know what I should do and I could make the decision…Okay, I guess I will do it if he is a specialist on my particular issue and speaks all around the country…..oh, you think the same as the first specialist which is what I thought from the beginning and felt just fine with….okay, thanks for that 15 minutes.
4. Um, just wondering, how much did I just pay you to measure my tummy and weigh me? Can I get a discount if I do that myself and just skip the next appt?
5. Are you charging me for all of these handouts you are giving me, cuz I would be happy to print these off my own computer and actually talk to you instead.

Well, alrighty, I feel better and I am going to go about my day as if I hadn’t talked to the insurance company today and am going to have a wonderful evening with my hubby and baby and not think about it again. Oh, and anonymous, please don’t comment on my blog explaining why things are the way they are…I know, just had to vent.

Comments

tawnya said…
SO FUNNY you just posted about this. We've been doing a little questioning and cancelling of appts around here today as well! You know that I already question everything, so I'm right there with you sister!
Kathryn said…
Dana I completely AGREE!!! We are military and I know I don't pay for my insurance but I don't take advantage of it either. It bothers me that people think "oh I'm in the military I'll just go to the ER because I stubbed my toe and I don't have any motrin so I'll go get it for free at a military hospital!"...no No and NO! I have to go to a civilian doctor here (being without a military hospital) and it is covered by my insurace but I still receive a notice of what was charged by the clinic and what was paid by the insurance. One of the boys and I went in and got our blood pressure taken and my height and weight and they didn't even succeed at getting my boys and they charged my insurance over 250 dollars for EACH of us and we were only there less than 30 minutes! I couldn't believe it! And I don't agree with all the shots they want to inject in our kids these days...I didn't get them all and I'm just fine!
Lisa said…
YAY! I support you 100%!!! And so does my mom (who I was reading this out loud to) who also happens to be an OB RN. :) Let me know what you actually end up having to do! Because I would LOVE to skip a ton of the tests and such!
Peach said…
Good for you to vent! Finally! I know Dan says it's a family blog, but this is what your family is dealing with, right? I can't say I feel the same way, but I am glad you shared. :thumbs up:
Erin L said…
i'm glad your opinionated, cuz so am I. my husband is going to med school soon, so I feel obligated to state my opinion, and I agree with you. doctors run tests so that people won't sue them when something goes wrong. the gd drink, multiple ultrasounds, etc, its all to cover their butts. Its dumb. Its expensive and its usually pointless. I get sick of it too. there you go.
Kit said…
K you are hilarious!! I loved reading that! You are on my top three list of mommies I most want to be like. Seriously. I love your passion, and You are absolutely right! My kids haven't seen a doctor in a year and a half and I am a nurse! That is pretty bad in the medical world I think. Roscoe is still not immunized. I thought that I would be ready by the time he was 2, but nope. ANd as far as the glucose tolerance test...I totally skipped it with Lexi and Roscoe, because I knew that I didn't have gestational diabetes. My dr. Had to write that I was a non compliant patient on my medical records! Ha! This time I gotsta do it. My midwife I think is pretty strict on that one. Keep on asking your questions. I think people that blindly follow the norm are scary!

ANd btw, No. I don't look like that everyday by any means. A lot of days I don't even wear makeup, but a couple times a week I feel the need to dress up and pretend I got somewhere to be and (naturally) that is when I take a pic of myself. I will put some more all naturaaal pics up to let you know that I am real. Love you and your vents.
The Mattesons said…
All I can say is that you have to do what is right for you. But with being in the military and having free insurance, I do not contest when they say go for a level two ultrasound with a specialist. Had we not done that with Kyler, we would not have found out that he didn't have down syndrome before he was born and I think that the stress of not knowing wouldn't have been good for my pregnancy. And then the biggest reason for going for the level two ultrasound with a specialist is Kooper and Conner. Had we not done that they wouldn't be here with us today. It was just routine because they were twins. In the ultrasounds at the military and civilian hospitals, everything was fine. I even had one the day before we went to Anchorage for an ultrasound and everything was "fine". I am thankful for the routine ultrasounds because we were having twins and that they just do that, because Kooper and Conner DEFINITELY wouldn't be here with us today. But we did and we are very thankful that we found out the things we did and thankful that Heavenly Father blessed us with these two little guys. I can't imagine having to pay for all the ultrasounds, appts, etc, but I also can't imagine what life would be like without these two little guys. Had we not gone the extra step even though we didn't think anything was wrong, our lives would be completely different. We love you Dana and you and Dan always do what you know is right. Hope you are feeling well. Give Mason a big hug and kiss from us!
Holly said…
Thanks Dana. It's honestly a breath of fresh air to hear you say these things. I am so sad we're scared into thinking Docs know more than we do. You're not alone- life can be healthy and happy without going to doctors for screenings and precautionary nonsense. Thanks for reminding people that they actually have brains and should use them once in a while when it comes to their health. The last time I went to the doc I laid flat on my back for an hour and a half in tears cuz the ultrasound dude was hurting me SOOO bad. . .all for him to tell me the baby was fine. Which I already knew. Why????
Anonymous said…
This is Daniel and Kathryn's Mom wanting to clarify Kathryns comment about shots. I do not want to open up that can of worms again so this is not a comment on shots verses no shots. All six children had their shots. Dr. Reem and Dr. Foote would give the shots 1/4th or 1/3rd of a dose at a time, which meant I would take the kids back 3 or 4 times to get the full dosage. They would also give only one shot per visit, not 2-4 different kinds at one time. I was very fortunate to have wonderful doctors for the kids that understood my concerns and fears.
Love Mom Murphy
Hi Dana! It is good to find your blog! Mason is getting so big and he is such a cutie pie! I loved reading about him and his monkey! Congratulations on your pregnancy!
eMily eLiZaBeTh said…
Hey girlie,i saw your blog from kristens...and ive godda say im impressed. its nice to know that other women question things like this. next time around for me i will be the same way. good for you:)
Dax and Steph said…
Hey that would be fun to get together while your husband is at the conference. I don't hardly ever see anyone from our old ward any more, and it would be fun to have the kids play together. Let's plan something!
Lisa said…
I am just responding to your message on my blog - I would love to have a get together! It's been forever since I've seen everyone too. We don't have the internet anymore, but I check my e-mail every so often. Anyways, let me know when you want to do it, I can e-mail or call around too, to let people know about it. Can't wait to see you!
Dana, that was brilliant. I am right there with you. One time I was in a checkup for my children...all three were crying...and the doctor put the stethescope in his ears! He didn't want to hear the kids cry and he just kept talking like I was a sponge just hoping to hear brilliance from his mouth. They don't even expect us to come up with questions. Again, I am with you...if you start writing a collumn, I'll subscribe to the newspaper.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason