Tolerance vs. Support

I have been seeing and hearing so much about Proposition 8 and want to do my part to make sure that marriage stays between a man and woman. The general authorities have done a live broadcast about the passing of proposition 8 and are pleading with church members to do their part to get the word out. So, go to the link on my fave links and learn more. This isn't a little thing that we don't have to worry about if we don't live in California, this is a worldwide fight to protect the sanctity of marriage.

Now, so I can relieve a little bit of frustration I want to mention the word tolerance because it is being used improperly by many of those who don't support proposition 8. The word does NOT and never will mean SUPPORT. If it meant support there would be no need for the word tolerate:). It means showing kindness, respect and even love to those who have different views than yourself. It is about the people, not the view or lifestyle. It absolutely does not mean to show support to a particular view even though your whole value system goes against it. For those of us God fearing people, it is a little bit scarier to deal with God's judgments when we leave this world than to deal with the judgments of the people around us. I don't think I need to say anymore, I am God fearing, God says that marriage between a man and woman is the only way, and that is enough for me. So, if you are not in support of Prop. 8, please be tolerant of my views and understand that it is not about bigotry, it is about trying to be true to who I am and what I know to be true. If my values were that easily changed that wouldn't be showing much integrity now would it.

Comments

Holly said…
Love this post. One quote I really liked from the broadcast was, "The face of sin often wears the mask of tolerance" from Elder Ballard. That struck a cord with me as so many feel that it is an unfair and hateful thing to be FOR this proposition. We know what's right and that's what we have to stand for- no matter how we make others, even our friends, feel. We love them, we just have to stand up and do what the Lord has asked us to do. Thanks for realizing and posting that this is a national issue, not just a state of California issue!!
You are such a good person...that's why I love you and want to see your face soon...call me stat!
Jenny said…
Okay seriously find the camera already! I haven't seen Mason in 2 months! I know he is getting cuter. Love and miss you guys!
Kit said…
Awesome post Dana. I will watch that broadcast today. I totally agree and actually had a friendly debate with one of my friends about this the other day. :) I totally love that you did the tolerance vs. support.
About Friday, Yes It is a bring your kid and hubby. Some people are coming solo, but others are bringing their fam. I am just asking that kids are fed before they come just to prevent a lot of need for highchair, messes, etc. Of course kids are still welcome to eat and munch on things. I just don't want them starving and NEEDING to eat ASAP. :). I hope you come. We have had people cancel in the last two days, so I hope we still get a good amount here. I would love to see you.
That is a great post. I have a lot of feelings on this, and have not known what to say, or how to say it. You did it great. I've got to write something on the importance of passing proposition 8.
Anonymous said…
I Totally AGREE!! Great Post!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason