For My Mama


I just want to wish the most wonderful mama in the world, a Happy Mother's Day!! My mom has taught me more about being a mother than any number of books I have read or ever will read. They say you should teach your children by example, and wow, did she know how to do that. I think everyone who knows my mom would say that she is a sweet lady, but she is so much more than a sweet lady, and has taught me so many life long lessons. My mom taught me how to laugh. I can think of at least a million times when I came home from school, sad or grouchy, and my mom tried to lift me up by saying something hilarious, as she always does. Sometimes, I think I was so grouchy (especially in my teen years, oops) that I didn't even acknowledge it, but thank you mom for brightening many grouchy days. To this day, my mom finds ways to laugh in every little situation, even the situations where laughing seems really tough. She taught me how to be a mother without complaining about the mundane things that motherhood brings. I remember countless nights of me waking my mom up with a bad dream or because I was sleep walking and got into the shower on accident, or for the million other reasons I did. She would always get up with me and take care of whatever I needed. She never sighed a heavy sigh like I do sometimes when Mason is up all night, she even made time to sing me back to sleep (we aren't only talking baby years here, we are talking high school, and I loved every second of it). She taught me about humility. I can't tell you how many times my mom has come up to my room when we got into a fight and apologized for something she said or did. It would have been really easy for her to just say, " I am the boss," but she did not want to hurt my feelings or be unfair so she always cleared it up. I remember doing the same to her many times, because she taught me that it is okay to let go of my pride and apologize. You can't read that in a book. My mom taught me how to trust in others. I remember one particular occasion when I told my mom I had snuck out of the house with friends (boys included). The only thing she said was, "well, at least there were some boys there to keep you safe." Wow, that is trust. Knowing that she trusted me so much made me never want to break that trust. She taught me that making mistakes is okay. My mom never forced me into things. She always gave me the right to make my own decisions, and alot of the time, that meant making my own mistakes. Thank you mom for letting me learn from my mistakes. She taught me to forgive. She never told me to hit someone back, but always "just be nice to them" and it ALWAYS worked. The absolute best thing I have learned from my mom is that motherhood is an absolutely selfless act and she seemed to find joy in that. On a few very uncommon occasions, my mom has shared some of the things she misses that she can't do any more. Every time I am blown away by the things she says. Mom, thank you for missing baking bread for us. Every time I think about the fact that you miss making bread for your family, it puts things in perspective for me and makes me enjoy making a batch of cookies for my family instead of opting not to do it. Mom, I love you so much and hope you can even kind of understand the impact you have made on my life and on the way I will mother my children and take care of my family. Thanks for giving your life to serve your family, the most noble calling in the world. Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Kit said…
K Still wiping away the tears...Wow Dana I loved that! I know how amazing your mother is, and I know that there have been many trials she has faced. I think you are amazing and that gives such a tribute to your mother.
Stacy said…
I am also crying. That was beautifully said. I am sure that you are the person you are because of your mother. I know I am. We are all so blessed to have such wonderful, spiritual mothers!!
Peach said…
Beautiful said! Doug has some of the same memories. I wish I could have known your mom then, but these stories help me to learn about her. What a WONDERFULLY PERFECT mom!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason