Vaccines: Check it out!

I know that vaccinating your child is a really controversial topic and people who don't are said to be "threatening the lives of all of our children", but, just take a look at research before you take all of your little kiddos without even a thought about it. It is at least worth your time to look into it and make an educated decision. I don't want to get on my soap box, but just look at CNN.com and read all of the articles. The Jenny McCarthey one is really interesting and makes you really think. Mason's pediatrician admitted that they just don't know enough so he takes precautions and said he would not say a word if I decided against them right now while Mason is still an infant. We just don't know, so you should at least look into it.

Comments

Stacy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy said…
I just have to say that your such a cute mom! And I totally agree with you on the whole vaccination thing. I have mixed emotions about it.
Chris and Holly said…
Oops- I think I left a comment and then deleted it? Strange. Anyway, Jenny McCarthy is my new hero. Chris saw Jenny on the beginning of Larry King tonight and said "It's like talking to you!". I am so happy she's pushing this issue- there has been a lot of progress in the last few years and I think she'll help open even more people's eyes. What are you guys doing about Mason's shots? (If you don't mind my asking!)
Peach said…
I have been wondering about this too. I've heard that they're okay if they're not given all at once or something like that. I am also curious to know what you have decided to do with Mason. Thanks for bringing it up.
Kit said…
Oh Dana, this opens up the door to the torment that goes on inside me...To Vaccinate or not to Vaccinate! I am so torn! I have researched quite a bit, and we definitely need the vaccines, but we are giving them irresponsibly. If too many people don't vaccinate than we will see some diseases come back (we have had some scary ones come back in St. George). The church has released one article/talk on the subject that I could find (from the first presidency), and they said that they support immunizations. So far what I have done: I never give the HEP B shot at the day of birth (standard now in Utah, but you can refuse it). It is completely unnecessary! I don't start until 4 months old, Shawn and Fam member give a priesthood blessing before we start, and I don't do the MMR at one year.(Measels has come back here, but I just don't feel like that one is that dangerous.) ANyways, I am pretty sure you weren't asking for advice/opinions, but there you have it anyway. Glad you posted this!
Dana said…
I am so glad you guys posted opinions because it is so hard to know what to do. I would just die if my baby got polio, but I also don't want to pump him full of vaccines in his first year of life. I didn't so much as take and advil when I was prego so I sure as heck see a problem with about 60 immunizations right away. Anyway, I think I am waiting until I feel good about it. He had his first set, but that made me want to puke, so we didn't give him his last set at 4 months. He kept doing this weird thing (I think it was him just being excited) but it freaked me out so I told the doctor no thanks for now. The nurse looked at us like we were crazy, but who the heck cares!
Anonymous said…
You are a MOMMY!!!! I had no idea!! CONGRATS!! He is so adorable, handsome, cute, little guy!! I am so excited to see that your doing wonderful!! Your so amazing!!
Dahlia said…
I'm one of Dawn Matteson's friends and found your blog through hers...just wanted to post a comment too...

I was just in with my child's pediatrician today discussing this very subject. She said autism is a genetic disorder and it's not caused by vaccines, nor do the immunizations contain thimerisol (mercury preservative). She said it all started by an unethical biased publication in a medical journal that suggested that autism and vaccines are related.
Check out this site:

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/autism/mmr/

I was torn on this subject, but I think after talk and research and prayer, it's going to be alright.
The Mattesons said…
Dana and Dan...all I can say is that you have to do what you feel is right for Mason. We personally have had all three boys vaccinated from birth and they are fine, but it's a personal choice and hopefully you will be able to come to a conclusion of what to do soon. Give Mason a BIG hug and kiss from us. He is just absolutely beautiful and adorable. We love to look at the pics of him. And you two look good too!!!
Jeff & Suzie said…
So Dana what are schools stances on not vaccinating kids and the state education? I thought kids had to be current on vaccines to start public schools. Who knows I am glad I am past those worries. 4 healthy girls I am lucky that there were not any problems with their vaccines. It is a scarey thought though, which is the higher risk, the diseases that they could get or the possible side effects of the vaccines? Have fun figuring that one out!! This will make me sound ancient for sure but it wasn't even questioned really until just the last few years. One thing I think about with not immunizing is if there ever was an outbreak of a disease like polio or something I am sure it would be hard to get the immunizations at that point if there is a run on it. Just kindof a scarey thought. With people not immunizing it could put quite a few others at risk. But like I said before kindof glad I don't have to worry about it anymore!! Have you heard the theory that Bill Clinton actually got a huge supply of one of the immunizations that had a high level of murcury in it and they think that is a huge cause of the increase in autism. That would be crazy don't you think? Take care. Have you heard anything from jobs??
Dana said…
Suz, you are supposed to be current on immunizations to go to public schools, but you can refuse them. I, however, do not plan on refusing them at that age. I totally think they are important, just not so many and not so young. They have just added so many new ones and they are on a very aggressive schedule. I will definitely do them though.
tawnya said…
Dana -

I know this is completely old, but I was just going through your archives and saw this.

I had such a tough time with this, too, but we decided to delay vax with Sammy. Best decision I ever made. We are taking it nice & slow & he'll be caught up eventually, but for now? That's way too much stuff in my kid's body for me to be comfortable with. Who knew? I just never thought it would be an issue with us and that I would just vax, but with his delays I wanted to be safe and not sorry; esp with the MMR. You know?

Anyway. I hope you guys figured out what was good for Mason on this!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason