It is so worth the effort

So, sometimes when you are teaching little kids about religion it seems to go right over their heads. I was told once by a very fancy (highly overpriced), NYC physician that you should not try to teach little children religion because they cannot comprehend it and it is confusing to them. I, obviously, knew this to be false because my religion teaches otherwise and I was taught otherwise. We try to teach our children about God, our religion, about prayer and the Spirit. I want them to be able to testify on their own that they know God is there and that He knows and hears them. I want them to know truth when they hear it. I just want them to be religiously minded so that when times get tough, they will know what to do. Prayer is amazing that way. It solves every problem in time. Prayer is the answer to life's problems. God knows exactly how to solve or help us deal with every issue. I know this, I want more than anything for my kids to know this early so they can hopefully limit the bad roads they take. Anyway, so, sometimes it seems as if they are still just too young to apply the things we teach. I always hope that some day I will see the fruits of our labors, but just never really know. Well, now I know, It is so worth the effort. Mason came upstairs last night at bed time and said he was having a nighmare about Backyardigans (yes, little innocent Backyardigans). I told him to think happy thoughts about Christmas time with family. He seemed to think that might work. He went to bed and we didn't hear another peep. Today, when I took him down for his nap (yes, my 4 year old still naps daily and it rocks!!), he said, "I said a prayer about Backyardigans." Me: "Oh, really. What about. Was it about the scary thoughts you had about them?" Mason: "Yeah" Me: "Well, did it work?" Mason: "Yep, they just flew right out." Apparently, those scary thoughts just flew right out of his head and he fell right to sleep. The thing that really got me was that he thought of it all on his own. I can't explain the relief that I felt knowing that he knows when life is scary, to pray. He knew that that situation needed something more than just him changing his thoughts. Serious joy for this mom today. Love the gospel.


Comments

Kit said…
That is the best feeling in the world. Seriously, What would we do without the gospel??

Oh and I love that it was the backyardigans of all things! Ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason