Nutrition 101 will keep us out of the doctors office?


So, we all know that healthy eating promotes healthy bodies, but why don't we really believe it. I am giving the lesson on the Word of Wisdom on Sunday and so I have been doing some reading on nutrition and stuff. I LOVE to study nutrition. It is so fascinating that by taking certain things into our bodies we can prevent and recover from illness. If we are struggling with constant infection, increase vitamin A, nerve issues we need to increase Vitamin B......and so on. Amazingly Vitamin A has proven to cure infection and prevent it in the future. What? Yeah! Do your kids have lots of ear infections, eye infections? Increase their Vitamin A. ARe you on the way to pick up a supplement? Well, okay, but why not just pick up a carrot? Your body will absorb the vitamins so much better and we know there are no negative effects of veggies. The more I study the topic (from the scriptures or a nutrition book) the more baffled I am by our ignorance of it. Everything we need to keep our families healthy is laid out for us and we just don't trust it. We run to the doctor to get a medecine, antibiotic, quick fix for everything that goes wrong with our kids when we should be turning to our diet and tweaking it to fit our current issues. NOw, I know it is easier said than done, but I just hope we get out of the mind set that the doctor fixes everything. The doctor doesn't even have to take a nutrition class (or atleast didn't the last time I checked). It isn't just some wholistic crazy talk. It is very real. I guess I have just been overwhelmed lately with the amount of disease in the world and am really realizing that it isn't just genes, it isn't just environment, it is largely due to diet. WE have so much control over how healthy our families are. I know I probably don't even understand the littlest part of all that the Word of Wisdom offers, but all I know is that science is constantly proving it to be the absolute perfect diet guideline. I am just grateful that I have been reminded this week about the importance of healthy eating...it's not just to look good in clothes.
I was just reading about all of the things certain vitamins can do. One thing that stood out was the ability of vitamin B to make your blood clot properly. I have a clotting disorder and worry about clots during pregnancy. I take heparin shots post pardom. I will always do the heparin shots for safety, but I will also be better about eating better during pregnancy. I was also reading about the fact that you can increase your butter and "sweets' during pregnancy just a tiny bit. We crave those things during pregnancy usually. I just think it is amazing that our bodies tell us what we need to take in more of with cravings. Crazy. I also read that butter has vitamins and minerals....no other oils do. Vegetable oil....nothing. It seems like everyone thinks veggie oil is really healthy. It's not. I am sticking with the natural foods like butter (in small amounts of course......maybe).

Oh, and on a side note, I just think so many people are not even aware that store bought whole wheat bread has very little nutritional value. I know, sad huh? But after it is processed, manufactured and then sitting on the store shelves, it has lost almost all of the vitamins and minerals that make it so good for us. Think of the increased health we could have if we prepared grains in our own homes. I have already noticed improved health with my fam since I got my grain grinder. No seriously, it's not in my head. So, there you go, some interesting tid bits that I thought were really cool.

I hope no one thinks this is me on my soap box. It's not. Sometimes I just think that maybe people aren't even aware of these things that I am really passionate about. I just love to share what I learn and I just am thinking this is so amazing right now. I would hope anyone reading this would share what they have learned about the things they are passionate about. I love blogging for this reason. Okay, I feel better now.

Comments

Peach said…
You show your love for your kids by feeding them quinoa. I show my love for my kids by making them big birthday cakes. Yeah, there's probably something wrong there.
Blaine said…
"let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."
-Hippocrates
Kit said…
Amen Sista! Amen!!!
Coconut oil is an AMAZING oil btw. I also love butter. I just learned how to make sprouted wheat bread too. Super duper healthy. I can email the recipe if you would like. Glad you posted. I am a HEalth Nazi and am often shocked that so many people buy into the propaganda. "whole grain" wheat thins are not healthy!!!!
Why aren't we neighbors!!??
Susanne said…
Dana... I think you rock and am so thankful to know you.

So I have a request. Will you help me with good recipes? For example.. LOVE your wheat bread, but I have no idea how to make it.
Erin L said…
The more I read about nutrition, the more I learn that the science behind nutrition is always changing. But when you look back at healthier (in terms of chronic disease) times in history, you see that nutritional science hasn't really gotten us anywhere. But the W of W - whole grains, fruits, veggies, and little meat - that is proven again and again. (There is a really fabulous book called In Defense of Food that you would like.)

That being said, my husband is currently is in the midst of his 8 week nutrition and metabolism class in med school. Just so you know, doctors know their stuff.
Dana said…
Thanks Erin, I will check it out. Now that I think about it. It was a pre med guy I talked to about no nutrition pre reqs and I was really surprised. I just wish docs would share more of that nutrition info they learn then. I have yet to find a doc who talks about the reason I am sick or how to combat it with my diet. I always get a prescription, always. I always ask the natural remedy first and I always get the, well, it might not work as well or....uh, I'm not sure answer. And I know I should just worry about my fam but it drives me crazy that some people don't even know there are other options and instead of sharing it with them, their docs just prescribe them antibiotics every other week. I appreciate docs, I really do, just not some of their practices. Kristin, I most definitely want all of your recipes. I know it's on your blog somewhere, but send me the green drink one too if you get a chance. And, I don't know why we aren't neighbors but the thought brings joy to my heart! Susanne, thanks and of course I will send the recipes your way and we can even make it together the first time. Blaine, I like your quote. I typed it in and it brought me to a great article, so thanks! Now if only I lived by you and could eat your garden instead of mine, then life would be perfect. We are going for it again this year though, so wish us luck.
Blaine said…
I got the quote from a nutrition calendar they gave us at work. I've taken it to heart and am getting about 50% of my calories from pills. Perhaps I misunderstood. If you need help preparing a garden spot let me know. Making a new garden spot is as fun as formatting a hard drive.
Elise said…
Does that mean it's okay that I downed those three bags of chocolates and two quarts of ice cream this week? Haha! I was just craving chocolate and ice cream like nothing else this week. :) Somewhere in there I should probably consider the whole "moderation in all things" side of things! :)
Seriously though, a great reminder and great information. I love your passionate self! :)
Oh, and just because I thought it was interesting, there isn't any nutrition class here at the med school Justin's going to. They discussed several nutrition things in one of his classes, but never a class that was just devoted to nutrition. Apparently it depends somewhat on what med school you go to as to how much they focus on teaching you nutrition info. I never realized that before. Interesting.
Erin L said…
There are a few things to consider with doctors and the "always writing a prescription" issue (which drives me crazy also, by the way). First is that for MOST people, that is why they go to the doctor. They want a quick fix. And the culture of that has changed the way doctors practice. Of course, doctors know that if you eat the way you should (whole foods, a lot of plants) and exercise your health with be better. They also know things about specific diseases and their relationship with certain vitamins and minerals (like scurvy and vitamin C). But really, nutrition is a very trial-and-error science. There are so many different studies done and many of them conflict each other. Even in regard to natural remedies. And there is bias in every study. If a person or group who has very strong ties to the outcome sponsors a study, you can bet they will find the answer they want. The same studies can be used to support or refute any theory. (I did a project in college that showed that very thought.) Doctors work with what they KNOW scientifically and medications follow a very scientific pathway that they can see and is very measurable in the majority of the population. One of my husbands required texts is "A nutrition guide for clinicians" that has dietary/nutritional considerations for almost every disease. You could look into having that as your own personal reference. It's available on amazon.