My Best Mothering Advice.......

So, as most of you know, I am VERY passionate about mothering/parenthood/nurturing and that kind of stuff. I think most moms are, but I happen to have lots of opinions too. I have a fear that when I give my opinion about motherhood other mothers are feeling judged and bugged by the fact that I give my opinion so freely. This is what I have a degree in, this is what I did for a job and do for a job now and this is what I love and will someday study more of. So, I am sorry for anyone who has ever felt that way, I know I have and I hate it. However, I feel the need to share my opinions and just get my feelings out and hope that anyone reading this will take it for what it is....a blog post about how I nurture my babes for my own record and for anyone who is looking for a different perspective or feeling like I did when I had my baby...clueless. I am so grateful for my friend who started me on my path to discovering the best way to care for my kiddos. Allie had a little girl before I had any children and I appreciated the way she was doing things. So, when I had Mason, I decided I would start to really study and research and ask questions instead of go with mainstream America's idea of nurturing. I have started on a road that is making me and my hubby happy and content and I think is making my kids happy and content too. I have only just begun my journey as a mother but this is what I know.....

Breastfeeding is amazing for health and for bonding and forces you to take time out to hold your baby and just sit with them. I firmly believe that that is why they are attached…no cleaning while you feed (unless of course you are really good at multitasking, I am not). Sometimes I do wish that daddy had the equipment, but whatever.

Sometimes people can't or don't want to nurse. That doesn’t mean you lose all the benefits. Why not mimic breast feeding by holding your baby close to you each time you feed them.

Lots of books and people will give you all of their opinions on parenting without actually doing any research at all about how that particular technique will affect your child.

You are the very best gauge for what your child needs and doesn't need.

You don’t need to start feeding your baby food at 6 months. There is no reason other than Gerber wants some more of you money. If you think it will make your child not like food when they get older, that is a myth. My 2 year old eats anything and everything and he didn’t start really eating full meals until 15 months.

Babies are not supposed to sleep through the night right off. Some do...bless them! But it isn't the norm, so change your expectation and just assume you will be up for the first year or longer. Frustration at night is lessened when you change your expectations of what is appropriate for a baby.

Babies need comfort. If they are crying, they need something, even if it is just to be held. That's okay. It won't last forever and you won't spoil them.

If it feels really wrong, it probably is. When a baby is crying by themself and you run to your room to cry (I have done it) because you can't stand it...it is probably something telling you that you might want to try another way. That night, my hubby and I agreed that wasn’t going to work for us. Best decision we ever made…aside from the whole marrying and having kids thing.

Don't feel pressure to do something because your pediatrician or mother-in-law says it's time.

If it seems completely irrational or like it goes against common sense, it probably is and does.

Carry your baby as much as you can (a wrap will make that much easier). Heck, my almost 3 year old sometimes wants to be in the wrap around the house. I’m cool with that.

But, if I had to give one piece of advice to a new mom, it would be to pray about every single tiny little thing. Pray about sleep time, pray about when and how to get shots, pray about feeding, pray about discipline. You will be led to the parenting style that is right for you.

So, here are my thoughts on how America got where we are now:

I think with the individualizing of America (we tend to worry about what is best for us and forget the whole group), I think we have lost sight of what nurturing a child is and what the end goal is and that there might actually be a reason we have boobs other than attracting men and catching crumbs. We have created so many contraptions to make caring for a baby easier and we have made those contraptions the norm. We have swings that actually mimic a mother rocking her baby so that we don't have to, bouncers, bottles and formula as the norm, car-seats that we use to tote the baby and let them sleep in and hang out in....oh and for safety in the car too :). I am not saying I have never used or even think you shouldn't use those things, but it is just part of how we have evolved as nurturers. We spend months before the baby is born making their nursery (a room completely separate from anyone else) perfect and cute. We buy every little baby thing on the market to prepare to care for this child. When the baby arrives, we are advised to hand them off to the nurse so mom can get some rest. When the baby hits 11 lbs. (who the heck threw that number out there anyway) we are advised that the baby should sleep through the night. We are advised that they will be just fine without any food and that we can start thinking about sleep training them so mom and dad can get their rest because that is really important. Some advise not to rock your baby to sleep because then they will depend on you rocking them forever and you do not want to get trapped in that, right? I think it has just happened over time and we didn't even realize how it might be affecting our babies. Babies don’t need all those things, they need you.

Mothering is the absolute perfect refining tool. It increases our patience, it forces us to endure really hard things, it makes us experience physically and emotionally what we never thought we could endure. It forces us to forget ourselves and worry about something more important, but sometimes I think all of these mainstream American techniques and devices allow us to avoid some of those lessons and deprive our kids of the nurture that they not only deserve, but that will help them thrive most effectively. Anyone who studies child development will tell you that the first five years of a child's life are critical in who they become. These are the years when a child's brain is developing and growing like no other time in their life. These are the years when a child is developing the trust and bond that will largely determine the trust and bond that they have with their parents, friends, spouses forever. A child is essentially establishing their foundation in those first few years (this isn't just psycho babble, go check it out in a text book or scholarly journal). I don't know about you, but I want to build that foundation with all of the very best tools even if it means I miss out on some sleep or have to give up my evening so I can rock a baby to sleep. I know it will get harder as we have more kids and I may not be able to do things exactly like I have planned or hoped or done things to this point, but I am sure going to try...and when I can't, I am not going to beat myself up about.

Ahh, that felt good. I don’t know if I will publish this on my blog or not. I know people will think I am over the top, judging them, unrealistic, but I’m cool with that. It sure does feel good to get out exactly why I do what I do and it will be nice for my kiddos to know how much effort I really did put in (for the first few atleast :))

Comments

Elise said…
Dana, I love you! And I love hearing your opinions! Perhaps living in the same room for a year made me biased, but I'd like to think I'd love you to death anyway. :)
I really enjoyed reading that. You are definitely a wonderful mother who loves her kiddos and is trying to do the very best for them. My favorite was the do what feels right for you and your child. The more I learn about motherhood the more I feel the truth in something I read "No matter what you do as a parent, make sure your children can feel your love. We are, none of us, perfect in our parenting and will make plenty of mistakes. The thing that will help both you and your children to get past those is to be sure that they know and can feel of your love for them." Your little kiddos will always know that - of that I am sure! :)
Love you girl!
If you get a chance give me a call sometime, I need to talk to you! :)
Peach said…
Thank you, Dana. I am going to share this on FB because I have had people ask me about this kinda stuff. You put it so perfectly. If you'd rather i didn't share it on FB send me a text and I will remove it. No problem. P.S. The background to your blog is gone. Try the new "design" button. I love it.
The Ericksons said…
The thing is everyone is entitled to do what they feel is best. I just wrote a whole long speil- sp? on my blog. I am sick of being told what is right. I have two totally different kids. We both have the same degree, had similar jobs and know kids well. That does not mean we will be experts, but it is fun learning. It is also hard when, as a mother you have to make a choice that goes against what you strongly believe in...like my son not being able to nurse. Really hard, and I get a lot of crap about it and its not fair for others to judge when they do not know the situation. I take no offense to what others do. I also love the fact that I GET to rock my son to sleep everyday. It won't last long, and I love the alone time we get! You are a fantastic mother!
Dana said…
Brittany, I am so sorry you get crap for that. I HATE feeling judged, yet it seems like no matter what you do you are, so you do what works for you and your family. You are so right, it seems like with each kid you start over learning what is best. Thanks for your comment. I hope it will remind all of us that we have no idea what is going on with someone else's life or situation so we usually judge wrong anyway :)
Lisa said…
THANK YOU for the opinions! I think that your thoughts echo 'the normal mom' more than you would think. You always amaze me with how dedicated you are to your kids - especially in a world where kids are minimized. I love my kids and spend my life doing everything possible to make THEIR lives easier - not mine. Thank you again for reaffirming that my position is not one I hold alone!
Holly said…
Can i link this post to my blog? I love it! Wish we lived closer!!!!!!
Susanne said…
Dana I love you. I agree completely with your thoughts. Your kids are loved, and it shows.
Dax and Steph said…
Can I just say you need to write a book that tells people to stop reading books about how to parent and just love their kids :)
Dana said…
PS- I am not talking about my mother-in-law. I just know that is common. Mine only gives advice when asked for it and I really respect her advice and how she did things with her babies.
Allie White said…
I sure love you girl!!! Thanks for the shout out:). We've been working out how we were going to do things for quite a few years now(we've just moved off the stake center lawn and into our own homes). Thank you for your dedication to your own heart and what you have found to be truth. It's not always the easiest road, but a peaceful heart is the best result any of us can ask for. You're a wonderful example of having your "little" prioreties at the front of the line for you and your hubby. It really is about what works best for each of us, and I'm glad you feel so sure and solid about what you're doing. At the end of it all we are the experts on our marriage, children, home. As an expert I want to be sure. It's truly wonderful to see that you are. I love your face!!!
Anonymous said…
Oh Dana I love you and your sweet family. Wish we were closer so I could hug and kiss those little ones more often.
Love BIG MUCH!!!
Nana (aka mother-in-law) HA!
Tiffany said…
Dearest Dana,

You are awesome! I wish I had a speck of your knowledge. You are such a great mom.... so, I have a question for you. Tanner has been throwing fits lately (as you saw at the park the other day) and he is little hitter. It's driving me crazy. I feel like I cannot reason with him, partially I know because he is 2, but he loves his punishments. He loves going to time out! I have a little corner in my hallway that he stands in and if I ask him if he wants to go to time out because he hits, he says "yes, mommy". what do you do with a kid whose punishments are not a punishment. I don't think he is at the level yet that I can take things away from him if he disobeys, either. I think I am just stuck. Let me know what you think. thanks!!!!
Dana, that was great. We are pregnant with our fifth, and I'm all about needing encouragement to continue in what I think is best for our children. I think nursing is critical for my developement as well as the babie's. It helps me have the one on one that I need with my infant. There are so many different opinions out there, like you said. I enjoyed reading yours.
Dana said…
Tiff, tricky, tricky, tricky. The thing is that with this age, you can definitely do things to improve behavior, but it does take a little time and enduring. I will say though, all the things we did with Mason (lots of Love and Logic)eventually got results that we were looking for. Here is what I would do, modify it to fit you. The second he hits, even a little intentional hit, I would pick him up calmly and put him in a high chair and tell him that we don't hit. Leave him for a couple of minutes and don't try to reason with him. (I sometimes tell him again why he is in there even though you probably don't have to). When he is done and calm I would let him out and then do the exact same thing every single time he hits. If you are out somewhere, find a similar place (carseat or something) and do the exact same thing. If you are in a store, put them in the cart and step away or something like that. If you are consistent, do not get mad at the hitting or give him the reaction he wants, he will stop. He really will, I promise. I think I will post a thing I made up for my love and logic class that has been helpful. Good luck. If it isn't hard, then it isn't worth it :). PS- I loved seeing you so much!
The Mattesons said…
Dana you rock! I was able to nurse our three older boys and LOVED it. Infact I think that Kyler would still be nursing if I let him! I tried VERY hard with the twins and felt VERY guilty that I didn't get to nurse them. The reason being was because Kooper struggled with it being so small and he also refused to nurse at the same time as Kooper. Well with having three other kids, I just couldn't nurse them seperatley, I would be nursing ALL day long. So I pumped for their whole first year, every three hours and they got the breast milk in a bottle. I started to feel less "guilty" about giving them a bottle because they got something the older three didn't...they got to be held and fed by both mom and dad. And I truly believe that because of that, Rikk has this amazing relationship with Conner and Kooper. Am I still sad that I didn't get to breastfeed, most definitely, but I am thrilled at the relationship the twins have with Rikk as babies. He wasn't just the one that made them laugh as babies, they also wanted him to comfort them as well, which is something the older boys didn't do until later in years.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby time!

Only Blue for us!

Presents for Mason